RNLI Float to Live
Keep your family safe with RNLI float to live and other safety advice. This is an RNLI water safety campaign delivered in partnership with HM Coastguard.
Make sure you know how to float and if you or your loved ones get into danger when visiting the coast. If an emergency, call 999 and ask for the Coastguard. Leave difficult rescues to the lifesavers. If there are lifeguards nearby, alert them.
If you or your children are struggling in the water, remember: FLOAT TO LIVE. To see how to float in water, watch the video.
5 steps to know how to float
- If you fall into water, fight your instinct to thrash around.
- Lean back, extend your arms and legs.
- If you need to, gently move them around to help you float.
- Float until you can control your breathing.
- Only then, call for help or swim to safety.